Sunday, January 16, 2011

Recipe: Puppy Chow

The kids love puppy chow and so does my sister, Laurie.  Once in awhile, I make a special batch up to take to Laurie because I know she won't make it herself and she LOVES it. 

At Christmastime, I made both the traditional and a gluten free/casein free batch.  They didn't last long.  I know it's not a 'family recipe', but definitely one that I think the kids will make again and again when they leave home.  I love the fact that it is so easily converted for Evan.  He likes his snackies too. 
I had fun with this page.  A little more cutesy than some of my other pages, but I decided that I'm not going to be concerned about all the pages being the same style in the cookbook.  I think they should reflect my mood rather than a template. I want them to have something that is uniquely from Mom.  :)
Which do you like better?

First try...



Here's my page with a couple more elements.  I added a red scallop edge border and a sun. 





Here's the Recipe:
9 cups Rice Chex Cereal
1/2 cup Skippy Natural Peanut Butter
1 cup Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
1/4 cup Earth Balance (stick)
1 tsp gfcf vanilla
1 1/2 cups powered sugar

Measure cereal and put into large mixing bowl. In a microwavable bowl, add peanut butter, butter and chocolate chips. Microwave about 1 minute or so until ingredients start to melt and can be stirred together until smooth. Stir in vanilla.  Pour mixture over cereal-coating evenly.
Add powdered sugar slowly and carefully mix until all the cereal is coated. (You can do this last step in a 2 gallon baggie and then shake until coated.)

**To make traditional Puppy Chow just add your  peanut butter, cereal, butter, vanilla and chocolate chips of choice. :)

Simple Simple, but ohhhh so good!  ♥

3 comments:

  1. I think the second one with the sun is definitely better. Those dogs are so cute.! When I read your post on LNS, I envisioned a picture of Evan eating the dog's food...LOL! I forget that this recipe is out there.
    Sue aka The Soggy Stamper
    www.soggystamper.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your funny ( in a good way :-) ) I even like the name of your blog I decided to be a follower so I can keep up with your quick wit .
    ( I found you on SUDSOL -and commented , that is how I heard about your blog )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, as a fellow Wisconsinite, I love your blog and sense of humor. What a hoot to have to put a disclaimer on your Puppy Chow recipe!
    Please keep those gluten free recipes coming. One of my daughter's roomies has "Silly Yak" and the other has Crohn's, so they are always on the lookout for tasty treats.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...