Monday, March 14, 2011

The Chickens and The Eggs

Everyone in our house is sick.  It is one mean virus!   Riley Kate came home last Monday with a cold and  horrible cough. Evan and I had it by Thursday.  Terry on Friday and Dani on Saturday. It is no fun when the kids and the parents are all sick.  I feel really sorry for Terry.  He has a hernia and a bad cough. He is scheduled for surgery on Thursday.  God willing, he will be well and able to have surgery. 

Today, I felt well enough to stamp after 3 days of lounging and sleeping.  What timing.... there's a brand new sketch over at Krista's Cards & Things Challenge Blog.  Why not stroll on over there and play along?




Here's my card!  It's So Saffron and Riding Hood Red. The So Saffron polka dot dsp is from the Subtles Stack and the Riding Hood Red dsp is from the retired paper Bella Rose.  I love the sentiment.  It is from the Word Play set.  When I had the card almost put together, I decided it needed something.  I added some Basic Black flourishes from the Baroque Motifs set.  What do you think?




Last summer, my daughter, Dani got chickens.  It all started when her science teacher gave her two little bantam chickens (a hen and a rooster), then all of a sudden we had 19 chickens (2 roosters and 17 hens).  It's funny how when mom isn't looking the pets multiply around here.  LOL

Here's a few of Dani's pets.  This was taken last fall when the grass was still green. Over the winter we have lost 3 chickens.  That still leaves us with 14 hens and those 2 silly little roosters!  Now she has an incubator and is going to try hatching eggs.  Oh my word...  I don't know how successful she'll be, but I'm not sure how many chickens we need!  I will say that I never thought chickens would be a fun pet, but we are really enjoying them.  They each have their very own personality AND they keep the cats off the patio. LOL 


She has a half dozen different kinds of laying hens and they are giving us quite the variety of eggs.  I love the little blue/green eggs and the itty bitty bantam eggs! We won't need to color our Easter eggs this year. They come colored straight from the hen!  Some even have speckles.   :) 

 

We also have a hen that is quite the over-achiever.  LOL  Her eggs are a meal all by themselves!


Most of her eggs are double yolked!

We are now getting almost a dozen eggs a day!   We are going to have a new business " Fresh Eggs".  :)
Hmmmm.....I wonder who is going to be in charge of taking care of the chickens when Dani leaves for college next year?

2 comments:

  1. Great card.....love it!! Man I wish I lived near you. I would absolutely buy your eggs. I love yard eggs, particularly the brown ones. I live in a podunk town in Tx and really need to find someone that has chickens that sells eggs, I'm sure there are some around here somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, and holy moly I thought Alice's egg was big, that one was huge!!!

    Hugs,
    Di

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...