Monday, April 18, 2011

Egg-xactly How I Spent April

About a month and a half or so ago, Dani started talking about buying spring chicks.  I thought that perhaps we could just buy young chickens from a local farmer.  You know,  less hassle than caring for chicks, ESPECIALLY when my daughter is graduating in the month and we have a party to plan.   I thought I had her convinced until one night, I see her and her dad with their heads together over the catalog that you can order the chicks from. 
Isn't it funny when our kids and husbands get together and start talking, there's another job for mom?  It wasn't a week and dad brought Dani home a surprise. He had been to Farm 'n Fleet for something and picked her up an incubator. She could collect eggs from her chickens and try to hatch them herself.
Here's Dani's incubator in what used to be my Stampin' Room. It's now Dani's hatching/homework room.  She has been squating in my Stampin' Room this school year, because it is the quietest room and she could set up an area w/ her laptop that was safe from baby brothers.  I occasionally visit, but not nearly as often as I would like.  :)

My job for the last few weeks it to babysit and turn the eggs while my daughter, Dani is at school during the week and at work on Saturday.  This means that everyday at 6 AM, 10 AM, 4 PM, 6 PM and 10 PM, I go down to my craft room and flip the eggs.  For the first couple of days, it was kinda neat.  Then I found that I had to schedule appointments and errands around them.    I'm the momma to 11 eggs.  My cell phone has the alarms set accordingly.  I ding and ring more than anyone I know!  LOL

Next weekend, April 22-24 the eggs should be hatching.  We candled them and they all have something inside and they are getting heavy.  Now I am like an excited parent.  I can't wait to see what we end up with.  I know there is a couple little Bantam eggs, the tiny brown eggs, but I have no idea what the others are.  Hopefully all will go well and I will post pictures of the newest additions to the Hawkinson Funny Farm next week. 

1 comment:

  1. Loved your comment about dinging and ringing! LOL! I can't wait to see what you come up with! You're absolutely right about more work for Mom! Been there ... done that, almost!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...